With the abundance of training logs and data analysis tools available from websites and apps, here at Mind Right Endurance we focus on 2 primary ones, Training Peaks & Strava. These two web based training sites allow us to effectively and efficiently communicate with our clients & athletes by collecting vital training data for analysis, feedback and scheduling. They are an essential part of our communication for our coaching service.However, there is also a 3rd site that we use for the sole purpose of making it easier to upload your workout files to multiple sites, and that is Garmin Connect. Garmin offers several very popular multi-sport GPS watches & devices which require a Garmin Connect account as well as the Garmin Express app for your computer that allows you to sync data and keep your device software up to date. So if you are a Garmin user, then you have access to the very useful tool called Garmin Connect AutoSync which requires a 1 time setup (done in under 30 seconds) to sync multiple accounts.Garmin’s AutoSync allows you to upload your training data or workout files to your Garmin Connect account which will then automatically be pushed to your Training Peaks & Strava accounts once they are connected. This means that you only need to upload to one site! Before we get into how this works, below is a brief description of the training sites we use if you’re not familiar.
- Training Peaks (trainingpeaks.com) – The big plus with TrainingPeaks is the ability to connect your account with one of our professional coaches. This optimizes client/coach communication which is the cornerstone of training & coaching with Mind Right. You will find a very detailed training log & history of all your completed workouts. There are numerous graphs and charts for detailed analysis of your training and feedback from your coach. You will see a tally of your daily, weekly, monthly & yearly mileages, durations, personal bests, along with a host of cutting edge analytic tools to measure your fitness, fatigue level and progress. Your coach will be given full access to your training data and calendar for easy scheduling and analysis of your workouts and training stress accumulation. No other website offers such a complete and in depth experience for the coach and athlete.
- Strava (strava.com) – Strava has many similar features to Training Peaks but does it in a more social and simplified manner for the athlete. We recommend to open a Strava account if you haven’t done so already. Strava will automatically break down your run or ride into segments (specific section of road or trail) and compare your effort against your past efforts, as well as other athletes who’ve run or ridden that same segment. You can then see where you rank and use this information for a little motivation to start moving up the leaderboards. This can be thought of as a social network for athletes. To check out and join our Mind Right club on Strava. (Strava also has a way to “hide” your workouts if you prefer a little more privacy)
- Garmin Connect (connect.garmin.com) – This site has been going through some major updates in hopes to be on par with the likes of Training Peaks and Strava but they are not there yet. The best thing Garmin Connect has going for it right now and why we recommend it to our athletes if using a Garmin device, is there AutoSync feature that allows for seamless uploading to multiple websites. If you are looking to buy a Garmin GPS watch or cycling device, be sure to purchase one that is Bluetooth capable to simplify the process even more. This allows you to wirelessly upload your data from pretty much anywhere that you have cell service via your smartphone or tablet. Click here for the Garmin devices we recommend. If you are not looking to purchase a Garmin, then check out the Wahoo Fitness App for your smartphone or tablet which is capable of doing the same thing as any training device out there, you just need to carry your phone and make sure it is fully charged.
How to Setup Garmin AutoSync
This works by first signing up for a Garmin Connect account if you don’t already have one and then connecting your Training Peaks & Strava account to it. This only needs to be done once. So now whenever you upload your workouts to Garmin Connect, whether wirelessly or through USB, it will automatically send those workout files to TP & Strava. No longer is the need to upload to multiple websites. Follow the links below.
- Connect TRAINING PEAKS account to Garmin AutoSync, click here. Enter your TP Username & Password, choose to sync your last 30 days of activities if you haven’t done so before, and your all set!
- Connect your STRAVA account to Garmin AutoSync, click here. Visit settings under your profile and look to the right column for Social Connections. Select Connect with Garmin and follow the directions from there. Once you’ve established this connection, any activities uploaded to Garmin Connect™ will automatically sync to Strava within minutes.
- For Suunto users only: If you use Suunto Watches, you can connect your Training Peaks account to Movescount.com by clicking here.
Each of these sites has a mobile app, download it and login with the username and password. Visit the Apple App store, Google Play or Window Apps and type in the “search” bar, Training Peaks, Strava and or Garmin Connect, download and login. You will need to do this just once.
When you are finished creating your accounts and linking them together, get outside and have fun adventuring! Be sure to press the start button on your watch, gps device or mobile app and hit the stop button when finished. Then allow your phone or mobile device access to Garmin Connect and or share it to the app. Take your time learning and exploring these great apps and sites. You will become more familiar each time.
Let us know if you have any questions.